Saturday, August 24, 2013

A mountain guide with Meniere's Disease

Meniere's disease has quashed all my dreams of ever being a full time Mountain Guide. After several years of remissions spotted with vertigo episodes I was finally officially diagnosed around about 2006. Dr's told me to go home and learn to live with it. Since then, I have not dared tie in with a client ever, I've concentrated on winter guiding on skis where I do not need to worry about getting dizzy and pulling a client off the side of the mountain.

Since the summer of 2012 I took the decision to contact disability insurance and not work for the following winter. This has been one of the hardest times in my life. First few months I felt liberated, knowing that the hardest decision had been made. I was looking into starting a Meniere's Association for Switzerland.

Then came Meniere's Disease in the spring of 2013. I suffered with 3-4 months of vertigo. back to back days of feeling dizzy, morning, noon, and night. My hopes of starting an association vanished, but not without leaving me with deep feelings of inability.

I now live from day to day, not knowing whether tomorrow will be a good day or a bad day with Meniere's Disease.

I would now like to raise money for research!!


No comments:

Post a Comment